Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Ingrid's Favorite Settings

It's time for our favorite weekly meme, Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week ... Ingrid's top ten settings in books, and some of her favorite books that take place in them! 

1. Alaska. The Final Frontiersman by James Campbell (my review), Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
Alaska (via)
2. The Southwest. (Yes, by that I mean the southwestern United States.) Laughing Boy by Oliver LaFarge (my review), Death Comes to the Archbishop by Willa Cather
Monument Valley (via)


3. Scandinavia. Especially Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland. One book I really want to read that takes place in Scandinavia is Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset
Scandinavia (via)
4. Russia, of course. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (my post on this), The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (review coming soon!)
Moscow (via)
5. Battlefields. I love war books. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
WWI trenches (via)
6. Polygamist towns. I'm obsessed with books about polygamy. The Lonely Polygamist by Brady Udall (my review)
Polygamists (via)
7. New York City. Gotta love it. Moon Palace by Paul Auster
New York City (via)


8. Paris. Bonus if it mentions my favorite reading spot in Paris, the Jardin du Luxembourg! Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
Luxembourg gardens (via)
9. Europe in general. Love books that take place all across Europe. The Razor's Edge by Somerset Maugham
European cities ... (via)


10. Nameless deserts. There's something about a nameless, dry, empty place that is appealing to me.  Holes by Louis Sachar.
Desert (via)

Can you recommend any great books that take place these settings?